The Three Queens Hotel in Burton has been closed by Public Health England after two guests contracted Legionnaire’s disease.
The legionella pneumophila bacteria were found in samples taken from the hotel’s plumbing.
The Burton Mail reports the first guest was from Nottingham and was diagnosed in January this year after staying at the property for three days. The second guest was diagnosed in September and also stayed for three days. Both of the guests have since made a full recovery.
Dr David Kirrage, consultant with PHE West Midlands health protection team, said: “Isolated cases of legionella infection are reported to us on a regular basis and investigated as a matter of routine.
“Following the second case of confirmed legionnaires’ disease with a link to the hotel, we liaised with colleagues in the local environmental health team to carry out testing of water systems at the hotel.”
He added: “On the discovery of the presence of legionella at the hotel, the management implemented public health advice in order to minimise exposure to guests and staff, and closed areas where the bacteria had been detected immediately.
“Following further discussions with Public Health England and the local authorities, the hotel management has been told the premises need to close while a full assessment of the water systems is undertaken and any remedial work necessary is completed.
“Members of the environmental health team will continue to take tests to assess when the various hotel buildings may reopen.”
The hotel is contacting current guests to explain the situation and have advised anyone who has stayed with them within the past two weeks to get in touch if they are experiencing any symptoms.
The hotel will reopen once it has been given the all clear.