Three fire engines were called to hotel just after midnight on 27 April. The laundry room was completely destroyed and the corridor and two ground floor rooms near the room were damaged by the smoke.
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said that they suspect the fire was caused by an electrical fault from a tumble drier.
A thermal imaging camera as used to check for any remaining traces of the fire and the smoke was cleared using a fan. Firefighters left the scene at 2.30am.
A spokesperson for Hotel Indigo Newcastle said: “In the early hours of Saturday morning a fire broke out at the hotel, in the laundry room. Thanks to the swift response of our team all guests were evacuated quickly and safely and nobody was injured.
“The safety and wellbeing of our guests is always our top priority and we’d like to thank them for their cooperation during the incident. The hotel is operating as normal.”
— Tyne and Wear FRS (@Tyne_Wear_FRS) 28 April 2018