A government report revealing the names of 260 employers who have failed to pay their staff correctly has been published, including the names of numerous hotel brands.
Some 16,000 employees were not paid at least minimum wage, and the most prolific offenders were retail, hairdressing and hospitality sectors, attracting fines totalling £1.3m in December 2017.
Common examples of incorrect payment include failure to pay workers for travel, deducting money for uniforms and not paying for overtime.
The worst offending hotel business was named as The Pines Hotel, Purbeck, which failed to pay £20,557.68 to 15 workers.
They are followed by Ramside Estate Limited, which failed to pay £17,536.58 to eight workers and Bedruthan Hotel Limited, who owed £14,215.61 to 22 workers.
The government will spend a record £25.3m on minimum wage enforcement this year, with rates rising again in April 2018 giving young workers the biggest pay boost in a decade.
A recently introduced tactic of naming and shaming offending companies looks set to continue, and the government hopes the deterrent will be effective in reducing the number of mishandled payments.
Margot James, business minister, said: “There is no excuse for not paying staff the wages they’re entitled to and the government will come down hard on businesses that break the rules.”
Bryan Sanderson, chairman of the Low Pay Commission, said: “The Low Pay Commission’s conversations with employers suggest that the risk of being named is encouraging businesses to focus on compliance.”
Full list of offending hospitality businesses:
- Mr Percy John Puddepha, Mrs Rosemary Puddepha, Mr Brian Puddepha and Ms Diana Puddepha trading as the Pines Hotel, Purbeck BH19, failed to pay £20,557.68 to 15 workers.
- Ramside Estates Limited, County Durham DH1, failed to pay £17,536.59 to eight workers.
- Bedruthan Hotel Limited, Cornwall TR8, failed to pay £14,215.61 to 22 workers.
- Bournemouth Brewing Group Limited, Poole BH17, failed to pay £11,387.84 to one worker.
- Willerby Manor Hotels Limited, East Riding of Yorkshire HU10, failed to pay £10,133.13 to 37 workers.
- Headlam Leisure Limited trading as Headlam Hall Hotel, County Durham DL2, failed to pay £9,157.42 to eight workers.
- Low Wood Hotel (1958) Limited trading as Low Wood Bay, South Lakeland LA23, failed to pay £7,341.25 to 34 workers.
- Craydawn Pendley Manor Limited trading as Pendley Manor Hotel, Dacorum HP23, failed to pay £6,048.74 to four workers.
- Mobeen Restaurant and Takeaway Limited, Waltham Forest E10, failed to pay £5,433.99 to one worker.
- The New Ocean Hotel Limited, North Somerset BS23, failed to pay £5,206.33 to 11 workers.
- Y & V Partners Limited trading as Imperial Oriental, Redbridge IG7, failed to pay £5,027.34 to two workers.
- Northumberland Hotel LLP trading as the Northumberland Hotel, Edinburgh EH16, failed to pay £4,685.39 to two workers.
- The Manor House Hotel (Castle Combe) Limited trading as the Manor House Hotel & Golf Club, Wiltshire SN14, failed to pay £4,613.85 to nine workers.
- GST Partners trading as the Five Bells, St Edmundsbury CO10, failed to pay £3,574.18 to two workers.
- A Consultancy Services Limited trading as the Fallowfield Lodge, Manchester M14, failed to pay £2,995.41 to seven workers.
- The Bear & Pheasant Limited, Stafford ST17, failed to pay £2,975.25 to one worker.
- Methodist Holiday Hotels Limited trading as Raven Hall Hotel, Scarborough YO13, failed to pay £2,754.57 to five workers.
- Pizza Inn Wembley Ltd., Brent HA0, failed to pay £1,824.38 to one worker.
- Few Inns Limited trading as the Boot Inn, West Oxfordshire OX29, failed to pay £1,820.07 to one worker.
- Gisburne Park Estates Limited trading as Ribblesdale Park, Ribble Valley BB7, failed to pay £1,792.17 to one worker.
- Ambleside Inns Limited trading as the Alexandra, East Riding of Yorkshire HU18, failed to pay £1,741.78 to two workers.
- Subway South Limited trading as Subway, Bournemouth BH9, failed to pay £1,361.38 to two workers.
- Lavender House (Ashburton) Limited trading as Lavender House Hhtel, Teignbridge TQ13, failed to pay £1,220.24 to one worker.
- AEH Hotels Limited trading as The Manor at Sway Hotel & Restaurant, New Forest SO41 failed to pay £1,165.72 to two workers.
- Whelan HotelCo Limited trading as the Wrightington Hotel and Country Club, West Lancashire WN6, failed to pay £1,142.32 to 19 workers.
- May’s @ The Hollybush Ltd trading as the Hollybush Inn, East Ayrshire KA6, failed to pay £935.81 to one worker.
- Arran Brew Ltd, North Ayrshire KA27, failed to pay £872.77 to two workers.
- The Trouville Hotel LLP trading the Trouvile Hotel, Bournemouth BH2, failed to pay £781.51 to 11 workers.
- Budock Vean Hotel Limited, Cornwall TR11, failed to pay £765.58 to one worker.
- Grayshott Leisure Limited trading as Grayshott Spa (under previous ownership), East Hampshire GU26, failed to pay £733.87 to six workers.
- Alderforce North Limited trading as KFC, Brent HA9, failed to pay £699.79 to 23 workers.
- Mrs Arusha Korrin and Mr Anush Prem Korrin trading as Café Loco Shrub Hill, Worcester WR4, failed to pay £697.25 to four workers.
- Rothwell & Robertson Limited trading as Ye Olde Bull’s Head Inn, Isle of Anglesey LL58, failed to pay £627.53 to one worker.
- Mr Keith David Fearn trading as the Monaco hotel, Merton BS23, failed to pay £607.76 to one worker.
- Gordon Hotels Limited trading as the Queens hotel, Bournemouth BH1, failed to pay £534.18 to three workers.
- LFH (Woolley Grange) Limited trading as Woolley Grange hotel, Wiltshire BA15, failed to pay £469.14 to one worker.
- Tims Lamama Ltd trading as La Mama Café Restaurant, Wigan WN6, failed to pay £458.31 to one worker.
- Punjabi Sweets & Curry House Ltd, Sandwell B66, failed to pay £446.95 to three workers.
- Took Us A Long Time Limited trading as Wildwood Restaurant, Chester CW9, failed to pay £427.39 to two workers.
- Mr Phillip Johnson, Mrs Jeanette Johnson and Mr Roddy Patterson trading as the Railway Inn, Salford M44, failed to pay £419.78 to one worker.
- Gonzales (SR) Limited, Bolton BL4, failed to pay £382.05 to one worker.
- Rissco Foods Limited, Sandwell B66, failed to pay £368.81 to four workers.
- Balfour Evans Catering Ltd trading as the Queens At Belbroughton, Bromsgrove DY9, failed to pay £290.51 to one worker.
- Cotswold Inns and Hotels Limited, Wychavon WR11, failed to pay £281.58 to one worker.
- Greenwood Fryery Limited, Warrington WA1, failed to pay £276.81 to one worker.
- Mr Patrick Courtney and Mrs Patricia Courtney trading as Courtneys Sandwich Bar, Newry, Mourne and Down BT34, failed to pay £267.58 to three workers.
- Mr Stephen Gomes trading as Moksh, Cardiff CF10, failed to pay £263.22 to two workers.
- Springfield Country hotel (Stoborough) Limited, Purbeck BH20, failed to pay £262.55 to one worker.
- Alim Caterers Limited trading as KFC, Hillingdon HA4, failed to pay £253.44 to three workers.
- Athena (SW) Limited trading as Athena, Wiltshire SN15, failed to pay £251.69 to one worker.
- Vale Holiday Parks Limited, Ceredigion SY23, failed to pay £213.38 to two workers.
- Aja Lounge Ltd Crown & Pepper, Croydon CR0, failed to pay £188.47 to two workers.
- Creations Desserts Ltd trading as Creation Dessert Lounge, Peterborough PE1, failed to pay £174.14 to two workers.
- Mrs Nathalie Zabbal trading as the Newbridge, Wolverhampton WV6, failed to pay £170.67 to one worker.
- RU Hungry Ltd trading as Pizza Hut Delivery, Stockton-on-Tees TS18, failed to pay £156.35 to one worker.
- Perfect10247 Ltd trading as Papa Johns, Birmingham B5 failed to pay £146.39 to six workers.
- Irqa Spicy Food Ltd trading as Nosheen Tandoori, Aberdeenshire AB41, failed to pay £140.07 to four workers.
- Lakeview Manor Ltd, East Devon EX14, failed to pay £138.91 to two workers.
- Brittons Caterers Limited, Birmingham B6, failed to pay £124.78 to one worker.
- Akbar Balti (Manchester) Limited, Manchester M3, failed to pay £123.90 to one worker.
- CGB Oldham Limited trading as Chadderton Bar & Grill, Oldham OL9, failed to pay £111.76 to one worker.
- Six Five Zero Limited trading as Vivo Hotel Apartments, Bradford BD17, failed to pay £104.40 to one worker.