To increase awareness of the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Considerate Hoteliers is calling upon hospitality businesses to get involved in an alternative countdown to Christmas.
The company’s ‘17 CSR Days of Christmas’ countdown kicks off on 20 December 2017 and runs until 8 January 2018, with each day correlating to a specific SDG.
Of the 17 SDG goals, 4, 5, 6, 7,8, 10, 11,12, 13, 15 and 17 are the most relevant to the hospitality industry:
- 20 December – Goal 17: Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
- 22 December – Goal 15: Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
- 24 December – Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- 25 December – Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
26 December – Goal 11: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- 27 December – Goal 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
- 29 December – Goal 8: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
- 30 December – Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- 31 December – Goal 6: Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
- 1 January – Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- 2 January – Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
Benedetta Cassinelli, Considerate Hoteliers joint managing partner, said: “We aim to be catalysts for change in driving a responsible business culture in all aspects of operations within the hospitality and tourism sectors, not just environmental.
“This campaign provides information that can help businesses re-evaluate their existing performance and explore new ways of working.”