Helec has helped client Tewkesbury Park save 30% on its heating bills after its energy bills were set to increase four-fold. The 30% fuel savings from the new boilers will be combined with the expected savings of around £80K per year from new. CHP units. At the height of the energy crisis, Tewkesbury Park (a 93-room hotel with an 18-hole golf course) found their combined energy bills set to increase four-fold.
Chris McIntosh, a director at the property had read about CHP and wanted to see if this could be the answer to reducing their power costs while bringing stability to their existing supply. Chris contacted the Helec team, who attended to review the hotel’s energy systems and see what could be done.
Initial Assessment and Site Visit by Helec
Our initial site visit revealed the hotels existing boilers were old and inefficient and replacing these would show an immediate saving of around 30% on their heating bills. Taking into consideration the hotel’s need to not only save money but also reduce carbon emissions, Helec recommended the use of gas instead of the existing oil supply. Natural gas was unavailable, so LPG was chosen. Heat pumps were considered but were not suitable for the hotel’s needs.
Analysing their plant room also revealed that their existing boilers were no longer performing optimally and were fuelled by an expensive oil-based fuel source where we would use LPG.
This meant that Tewkesbury Park were spending more money than necessary to keep their water hot. By replacing this equipment, the hotel would immediately see benefits, providing instant savings on fuel costs.
Project Planning and Collaboration
Working closely with Tewkesbury Park, we created a detailed project plan– encompassing civil works, plumbing upgrades, and the installation of the CHP units. It was vital that any works carried out did not disrupt the normal day to day operation of the Hotel and Spa. The planning was carefully prepared to work with the hotel’s busy schedule and minimise disruptions.
The project comprised of three key stages:
- Remove and replace the oil boilers with the new Strebel S-FX320 LPG boilers and connect to the hotel.
- Install 6 new Grundfos pumps to feed the newly zoned areas and integrate 3 Galu 2,500 litre thermal stores. These thermal stores enabled a much larger heat output for short periods than the new boilers were capable of alone.
- Installation of a BMS system to monitor and control the energy distribution in the hotel. This ensures that the heat is always supplied where it is needed and nowhere else.
- The BMS is managed remotely which makes updates and improvements quick and easy.
- Installation of 2 new CHP units, the 50kWe CHP will operate almost continuously to satisfy the hotel’s base load whilst the second unit (a 75kWe) will top up any shortfall whilst also offering a standby power facility in the event of power cutsThis setup now provides Tewkesbury Park with absolute energy security. Their remote location meant reliance on the National Grid came with connection issues and the very real possibility of outages. Now, with dual engines installed, operations can continue completely unimpeded by the chance of power cuts.
Efficiency Gains and Environmental Impact
The installation of the CHP units and cleaner greener boilers, marked a significant milestone for Tewkesbury Park, not only in the addressing of their energy cost concerns but also in enhancing overall efficiency – helping the hotel reduce its carbon footprint.
Transitioning from oil to LPG gas in the boilers, alongside the installation of CHP units, has resulted in a substantial reduction in overall operating costs– with the additional bonus of further reducing the environmental impact of the facility.
Chris McIntosh, director of Tewkesbury Park Hotel, said: “One of the impressive aspects of Helec is how they handle a lot of the work themselves, from planning to implementation they are there with you 100% of the way. Our CHP was a fantastic investment and any company would benefit greatly from at least meeting with Helec to get an understanding of what the benefits might be.”
Our knowledge, collaborative approach, and innovative solutions were instrumental in transforming Tewkesbury Park’s energy infrastructure. The successful implementation of CHP technology and associated upgrades not only reduced their energy costs but also secured the hotel’s energy and improved their environmental credentials. We pride ourselves on our agility and our ability to tailor energy solutions to the specific needs of clients, and it’s this that now has ensured enduring efficiency and sustainability gains for Tewkesbury Park.
If you’re curious to know more, get in touch with us at email@example.com