Home // Latest News // Current Affairs // Torquay hotel evacuated after kitchen fire

Torquay hotel evacuated after kitchen fire

Some 60 guests were evacuated at a hotel in Torquay on monday morning after a fire broke out in the kitchen. 

Three fire engines from Torquay and Paignton, and one from Newton Abbot, were called to the Toorak Hotel on Chestnut Avenue at 5:44am. On arrival the fire incident commander confirmed a fire involving a deep fat fryer.

Two fire crews wearing breathing apparatus put out the fire and ventilated the room. It is believed that no damage was done to the kitchen.

Chris Brimicombe, the hotel’s assistant manager, told Devon Live: “A fryer was ignited. There was a full evacuation of about 60 people. We have 92 rooms so we’re fairly full. The evacuation went really well and people were allowed back in at about 7.15am.

“The fire crews left at about 8am. Fortunately there was no damage to the kitchen.”

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

About Tom Davis

Tom Davis
A graduate from Staffordshire University with a degree in Journalism and Media Studies, Tom enjoys photography and is a keen cyclist. Please do drop him an email with any potential new story ideas.

Check Also

PM Theresa May seeks snap election on 8 June

Prime Minister Theresa May today made an unscheduled announcement calling for a General Election on …

Why not sign up to the Hotel Owner Daily Briefing?

Why not sign up to the Hotel Owner Daily Briefing?

Join our mailing list to let Hotel Owner deliver the latest news from across the UK hospitality industry, directly to your inbox.

We have added you to our list! Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.