Ibrahim’s Grill and Steak House of 1159 Warwick Rd in Acocks Green was first visited by environmental health officers in October 2016 after an alleged food poisoning outbreak affecting a party of 14.
During the visit a number of issues for concern were found including the cleaning of the premises being deemed poor and sanitising chemicals were not being used in accordance with manufacturer instructions.
They also found that wooden plates which were “incapable of being cleaned” were being used to serve the food. The plates were said to have posed a threat of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.
Officers served improvement notices requiring a remedy to the issues, and on a return visit in December 2016 it was found the wooden plates were still being used.
On January 4 at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court the company entered a guilty plea, a fine of £50,000 was imposed along with £670 costs and £120 victim surcharge.
Mark Croxford, head of environmental health for Birmingham City council, said: “It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk.
“The owners were given sound advice which they chose to ignore. I am pleased magistrates supported our efforts with a large fine and hope advice we give on improving businesses to protect health will not be ignored in future.”